CHYAWANPRASH: A TRADITIONAL INDIAN BIOACTIVE HERBAL MEDICINAL FORMULATION TO BOOST IMMUNITY AND RESTORE YOUTHFULNESS
Keywords:Chyawanprash, Immunity booster, Medicinal Herbs, Herbal medicine, Traditional medicine, Ayurveda, Youthfulness
Chyawanprash is an Ayurvedic dietary health supplement used for boosting immunity and help in making a person feel young. Chyawanprash is one of the anti-ageing supplements, which is purely herbal in nature. It has Amla as its main ingredient, which is a powerful antioxidant. Master Charaka is the first to mention this herbal medicine. Ayurveda recommends the use of herbal supplements to help the increase immunity, restore drained reserves of life force and to preserve strength, stamina, and vitality, while stalling the course of aging. There are many benefits of chyawanprash. It is useful in cough and cold. It helps in the rejuvenation of the aged and also in proper nourishment of young ones. It is effectively used in the treatments of throat infections. Chyawanprash is formulated by processing around 50 medicinal herbs, minerals sugar, honey, ghee, Indian gooseberry jam, sesame oil, berries and spices. Chyawanprash market has seen a sharp rise of 30 to 40 percent in the period of rising cases of coronavirus. This article focused on immunity boosting herbal medicine in COVID-19 pandemic.
2. Dabur Chyawanprash for Immunity. Retrieved from: https://www.dabur.com/dabur-chyawanprash/.
3. Sharma, Martins, Kuca, Chaudhary, Kabra, Rao, Prajapati (2019), “Chyawanprash: A Traditional Indian Bioactive Health Supplement”, Biomolecules, 9(5),161–161.
4. Tamboli, F.; More, H.; Khairmode, S.; Patil, D.; Tambare, P. and Shinde, A. (2021), “Importance Of Medicinal Plants And Herbs As An Immunity Booster For Pandemic COVID-19”, Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences, 8(1), 01-09. Retrieved from https://informativejournals.com/journal/index.php/tjpls/article/view/65.
5. Charak, Samhita (1954), Chikitsasathanam, Vol II, (Motilal Banara-sidas, Banaras), 7.
6. Sharma, PV (1954), Cakradatta: A Treatise on Principles and Practices of Ayurvedic Medicine, (Chaukhambha Orientalia, Varanasi), 129.
7. Shastri, AD (1996), Bhaishjya-Ratnavali, (Chaukhambha Sanskrit Bhawan, Varanasi), 286.
8. Milind, Parle and Nitin, Bansal (2006), “Traditional medicinal formulation, Chyawanprash-A review”, Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, Vol. 5(4), 484-488.
9. Parle, M and Bansal N (2006), “Traditional medicine formulation, Chyawanprash-A Review”, Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, 5(4),484-488.
10. Madaan, A and Kanjilal, S; Gupta, A et al. (2015), “Evaluation of Immunostimulatory Activity of Chyawanprash Using In Vitro Assays”, Indian J Exp Biol, 53, 158-163.
11. Kumar, A; Rinwa, P and Kaur, P (2012), “Chyawanprash: A Wonder Indian Rasayana From Ayurveda to Modern Age”, Critical Review In Pharmaceutical Sciences,1(2),1-8.
12. Bansal, N and Parle, M (2011), “Beneficial Effect Of Chyawanprash On Cognitive Function In Aged Mice”, Pharm Biol., 49(1),2-8.
13. Chyawanprash. Retrieved from https://www.1mg.com/ayurveda/chyawanprash-147.
14. Bodhisattwa, Maiti; BP, Nagori and Rambir, Singh (2011), “Recent trends in herbal drugs: a review”, International Journal of Drug Research and Technology, 1,1,17-25.
15. Vishal, Garg; Arun, Kumar; Dinesh, Jindal; Rambir, Singh (2019), “A Review: Medicinal Plants And Herbs Used For The Treatment Of Diabetes”, Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences,6,1,45-52.
16. Rambir, Singh (2019), “Medicinal Plants Used In The Treatment Of Kidney, Urinary And Gallstone (Renal Stone And Herbal Treatment): A Review, International Journal of Pharmaceutical Research and Medicinal Plants, 2, 1,01-09.
17. Chyawanprash Uses, Dose, How To Take, Ingredients, Side Effects. Retrieved from https://www.easyayurveda.com/2009/09/08/chyawanprash-one-herbal-medicine-many-health-benefits/#qualities
18. Milind, Parle et. al (2006), “Traditional medicinal formulation, Chyawanprash-A Review”, Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, Vol. 5(4), 484-488
19. Anil, Kumar; Puneet, Rinwa and Preetinder, Kaur (2012), “Chyawanprash: A wonder Indian Rasayana from Ayurveda to Modern Age”, Critical Review In Pharmaceutical Sciences,1,2,01-08.
20. Sharma, R., Martins, N., Kuca, K., Chaudhary, A., Kabra, A., Rao, M. M., & Prajapati, P. K. (2019), “Chyawanprash: A Traditional Indian Bioactive Health Supplement”, Biomolecules, 9(5), 161.
21. Rawat, N and Roushan, R (2018), “Chyavanaprasha Rasayana; Trusted Armour Against Diseases- A Critical Review”, International Journal of Basic And Applied Research,8,8,304-310.
22. Wagh, VD; Patil, SV and Surana, SJ et al. (2013), “Medicinal Plants Used In Preparation Of Polyherbal Ayurvedic Formulation Chyawanprash”, J Med Plants Res Rev.,7,38,2801-2814.
23. Angadi, R; “AvalehaKalpana(Chyavanaprasavaleha) Textbook of Bhaisajaya Kalpana Vijnana”, 131-132
24. Chyawanprash: Regular Intake of This Ayurvedic Medicine Rejuvenates And Boosts Immunity. Retrieved from https://www.netmeds.com/health-library/post/chyawanprash-benefits-uses-ingredients-method-dosage-and-side-effects.
25. Now, Chyavanprash for soldiers to boost their immunity. Retrieved from https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/bangalore/Now-Chyavanprash-for-soldiers-to-boost-their-immunity/article15577909.ece
26. Narayana, D.B. & Durg, Sharanbasappa & Puthiyedath, Rammanohar & Mahapatra, Anita & A R, Aramya. (2016), “Chyawanprash: A review of therapeutic benefits as in authoritative texts and documented clinical literature”, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 197.
27. Chyawanprash Health Benefits & Ingredients. Retrieved from https://www.nourishdoc.com/Herbs/Chyawanprash-Health-Benefits-Ingredients-allergies-bronchial-asthma#
28. Chyawanprash: Regular intake of this Ayurvedic Medicine rejuvenates and boosts immunity. Retrieved from https://ayurcentralonline.com/en/blogs/410_Chyawanprash--Regular-intake-of-this-Ayurvedi.html
29. MasalaMonk Homemade Chyawanprash by Ammiji. Retrieved from https://www.masalamonk.com/product/masalamonk-homemade-chyawanprash/
30. Benefits of Chyawanprash and How to Make it at Home?. Retrieved from https://ezyschooling.com/parenting/expert/benefits-of-chyawanprash-and-how-to-make-it-at-home
31. Kasar, Rahul P. et. al (2007),“Chyawanprash - Truth or Mythy”, Pharmacognosy Reviews, 1,1,185-190.